Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Smokin' In The Boys Room

What up internet? Be impressed that I'm writing in this for the second, count it, SECOND, time this week. I know I am.

So, my last post was kind of a downer, as they've tended to be, and that's really not what I'm all about. In fact, it's the opposite of what I'm about. I'm a pretty fun guy, so I feel that this small snippet of my life that I'm publicizing should reflect on that. However, I have a rant in me totally unrelated to my previous rants that I just need to get out there.

I don't know how many of you readers out there go to Bridgewater, but I don't care, because I'm going to talk about it anyways. For those of you who do go to Bridgewater State Prison, er, I mean University, a recent article written by a fellow student of mine has set the campus abuzz. I'm talking about the article on the proposed tobacco ban.

So, this is something that actually really bothers me. For those of us out there who chose to smoke, that's our decision. It may not be the best decision that we've ever made, and fuck, it's probably a pretty bad idea. But nevertheless, it's our choice to do so. Bridgewater already has enforced polices regarding tobacco use on campus, such as pushing smokers 25 feet away from residence halls, which I think is fair. But to completely eradicate smoking all together from the campus? That's a little over the top, and frankly, absurd.

I don't have the numbers on hand, but the campus is pretty big. It's no city like UMass Amherst, but it's not a single street like Framingham State. So does the campus plan to displace anyone who smokes from the campus entirely? Forcing them to leave the campus to do so? This raises some fairly important questions that I'd want answers to (other than what the fuck) like, "What constitutes off campus?" and "So, if I park my ass on the line of on/off campus, I'll be okay?" I don't know, internet, this just seems like a terrible idea, and an over-the-top solution to a non-problem.

It wouldn't be fair for me to bitch about this without offering a solution, so here's my idea. If the school is to do anything about it, I say that designated areas are to be assigned to smoke, this way, smokers have a place, and non-smokers don't have to deal with it. That's my idea. Anyways, I'd love to hear other thoughts on this subject, so please feel free to leave a comment about it. End rant.

Other than that, things are more of the same. I'm living life, getting by, and being me. This has been a fairly good week, and with the weekend ahead, I really can't complain. I'm bypassing the photo thing today, but I promise I'll try and do it tomorrow morning.

I'll leave you all with this song that not only relates to my rant, it's been fucking stuck in my head all week. Peace out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment